Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Three Things I Never Thought I'd Buy," or "Reasons I Might Be Insane"



So, I was doing some thinking today, and I realized that I have purchased a number of items this year which I never thought I would. I mean, I assumed in my younger days that, in the future, I would attempt to lead a relatively healthful lifestyle; that I'd buy fresh fruit and veggies, and that I'd learn how to make fairly wholesome dinners etc, etc...But what on earth could possess me to actually exchange hard-earned post-tax dollars for a small bottle of powdered dried algae. I mean, come on...


1) Spirulina (shown above): I only really found out what this stuff was sometime earlier this year. I had heard the name bounced around in health-food circles, usually in conjunction with someone talking about their latest morning run (yes, I know. The thought of running in the morning exhausts me too guys...) However, I didn't really have any idea what spirulina was. I thought it might be a component of grain or something. Sort of akin to wheat germ (which also has kind of an unappealing "health-nut" connotation). Or, if it wasn't a grain, maybe it would be something like ground up wheat grass. Is your mouth watering for this stuff yet, haha.

What spirulina actually turned out to be was dried microscopic blue-green algae. Mmmm...slime...

So, for a while, I kind of wrote off the little green guys. That is, until I tried a drink called "Green Machine" from a company called Naked Juice. It's similar to Odwalla if you're more familiar with that company. Let me tell you, this stuff does not look palate pleasing at all. But, seriously, after you drink this juice, you feel like a million bucks. So I looked into the ingredients on the bottle, and started reading about Spirulina. It has quite a bit of protein, vitamins, and minerals in it (including iron, which, admittedly, my vegetarian diet often lacks), and did I tell you how I wanted to wrestle a bear after having some? So, I bought some Earth Rise brand powdered, dried, algae in a bottle. And I haven't looked back. I do warn you though, it will make your smoothies a little slimy and green if you put enough in. But really, you and the bear you wrestle probably won't mind. (Well, the bear might...); Do consult your doctor though before adding this to your diet, particularly if you are on other medications, or have health concerns.



2) Large bags of dirt: Yup, I bought these too. And as soon as I did, I heard the voices of generations of my ancestors declaring me a lost cause for having purchased something that is essentially free everywhere. But, this year, I really endeavored to become an accomplished home gardener.

The problem is of course that I was most definitely not born with a green thumb, judging by my accidental assassination of countless houseplants. Nevertheless, I decided to strive for greatness anyway. To the tune of buying WAY too many seed packets at the Ocean State Job Lot, and probably putting myself in danger of writing the sequel to The $64 Tomato. But, I can certainly vouch for the effectiveness of Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix, that's for sure. Aside from the few little spearmint and catnip seedlings that I left unwatered for one too many days, the Moisture Control Potting Soil actually managed to keep me from being a "green widow" to my tomatoes, lettuce, and innumerable herbs. Yeah, I will tell you that the soil is a little pricey considering that you are buying dirt, but the stuff works wonders. And until I get my backyard composting groove on, the store-bought kind will do just fine.

Note: Sorry, the Miracle Grow mix is not shown above. I ran out, and apparently so did the local hardware store. That's how good it is!

I promise that one of these days, I will post pictures of my first little garden. My little baby seedlings have grown up so fast! And I dote on them like they were children. I may have pictures of them in my wallet by tomorrow...

Speaking of which...



http://seitanismymotor.com/2007/12/03/of-stir-fries-and-strange-vegetables/

3) Oyster plant seeds: I actually bought mail-order seeds for the first time ever this year. I never thought I'd be that serious about gardening in my life. And I had never even heard of the Salsify plant (or the related "Scorzonera Hispanica") before April. It sounds kind of made up doesn't it? The so-called "oyster plant" is essentially is a long fibrous root vegetable (like a carrot or a parsnip) that is white inside and black on the outside. (Fun fact:"Scorza" means "bark" in Italian, and "nera" means "black.") And, supposedly, the flesh of the plant tastes a bit like oysters. Since I'm a vegetarian, and have never eaten an oyster, I was totally intrigued. And, much like me, Salsify is huge in Belgium...(just kidding. I'm pretty sure Belgians are universally unaware of my existence...so far.....)

Sorry guys, I'll get back to the point...

Because food is pretty much the only reason I garden at all, and because I have an unstoppable urge to taste any and all fruit or vegetable forms on planet earth, I actually looked into buying seeds to grow my own oyster plants. I purchased them from CherryGal.com, and they just arrived yesterday! I was super excited. It was a phenomenally dorky moment. But anyway, according to my reading, these root veggies are supposed to stay in the ground until at least the first or second fall frost in order to develop their oystery flavor. So, while I plan to chronicle the Belgian root vegetable exchange program taking place in Rhode Island this summer, it may take me 6 months to know if it was a bad idea....

Anyway, I hope you guys have enjoyed my first substantial blog post here at the Worldly Vegetarian! If any of you have made unexpected and potentially odd purchases this year, please share them here! I look very forward to sharing food, fun, and recipes with you for a long time to come!

No comments: